[Python-Dev] Re: Most everything is busted

Barry A. Warsaw barry@wooz.org
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 20:06:23 -0500

    TP> + news->mail for c.l.py hasn't delivered anything for well
    TP> over 24 hours.

    TP> + No mail to Python-Dev has showed up in the archives (let
    TP> alone been delivered) since Fri, 29 Dec 2000 16:42:44 +0200
    TP> (IST).

    TP> + The other Python mailing lists appear equally dead.

There's a stupid, stupid bug in Mailman 2.0, which I've just fixed and
(hopefully) unjammed things on the Mailman end[1].  We're still
probably subject to the Postfix delays unfortunately; I think those
are DNS related, and I've gotten a few other reports of DNS oddities,
which I've forwarded off to the DC sysadmins.  I don't think that
particular problem will be fixed until after the New Year.

relax-and-enjoy-the-quiet-ly y'rs,
-Barry

[1] For those who care: there's a resource throttle in qrunner which
limits the number of files any single qrunner process will handle.
qrunner does a listdir() on the qfiles directory and ignores any .msg
file it finds (it only does the bulk of the processing on the
corresponding .db files).  But it performs the throttle check on every
file in listdir() so depending on the order that listdir() returns and
the number of files in the qfiles directory, the throttle check might
get triggered before any .db file is seen.  Wedge city.  This is
serious enough to warrant a Mailman 2.0.1 release, probably mid-next
week.