Python 2 namespace change? (was Re: [Python-Dev] Changing existing class instances)

Christian Tismer
Fri, 04 Feb 2000 15:30:54 +0100

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> (Math about sapce savings gracefully accepted.)
> > This idea bears a lot of potential to also speed up
> > classes and instances. Further analysis is needed,
> > please let us not drop this idea too early.
> I will gladly use it as an implementation strategy "under the hood" if
> it makes sense -- I think that with some code analysis (e.g. "what are
> the globals here") it could be made to work well.

Pleased to hear this. Thank you for keeping it alive.

> But I don't think that changing the "from M import v" semantics so
> that local assignment to v changes the binding of M.v as well is
> defensible.

Of course this may be the weakest point yet, while it was
the reason to reasoning at all in the first place, it is
less important now. :-)

ciao - chris

Christian Tismer             :^)   <>
Düppelstr. 31                :    *Starship*
12163 Berlin                 :     PGP key ->