[Python-Dev] win32 specific exception in the core?

Mark Hammond mhammond@skippinet.com.au
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 21:56:51 +1100

[Moshe writes:]

> How about, for windows, to derive "many" error classes from OSError on
> Win32, and always return the right one?

Another alternative would be to derive from EnvironmentError.  I would then
like to change the __str__ method from:

      return '[Errno %s] %s: %s' % (self.errno, self.strerror,

      return '[%s %s] %s: %s' % (self.getdesc(), self.errno, self.strerror,

Where getdesc() returns "OS Error", "IO Error" or "Win32 error"
respectively.

This all comes down to Guido tho.  I believe he is away, so if he doesnt
respond Ill simply send him a summary of the discussions and he can decide
lickety-split!

Mark.