[Python-Dev] Expat -- it keeps going, and going, and going ...

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 14:55:34 -0500 (EST)

Paul Prescod writes:
>We don't want to encourage programmers to use the old xmllib API. I was
>actually one of a minority that said that we should put the xmllib API
>on top of expat. Most people said: "don't do that or people will keep
>using that API."

There's definitely no point in having multiple ways to do the same
thing that produce different results, though having multiple
interfaces is OK.  That would be an argument in favor of building
xmllib on top of Expat, but the problem is, should xmllib.py work at
all without the Expat interface?  The cruel-to-be-kind answer would be
"no"; no Expat, no xmllib either!  But that's so harsh that I'd bet
GvR would never go for it, since he either doesn't understand or
doesn't agree with the arguments for strict XML parsing.

So the gentler answer is to leave xmllib.py as is, mark it as
deprecated, and encourage use of the new Expat interface.

--amk