[Python-Dev] Python -t

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 23:30:08 -0500

[Paul Prescod]
> What are the chances of making python -t the default in Python 1.6?

My guess is slim.  Guido explictly chose not to make it the default when he
introduced it, and I doubt it would be possible to dream up an argument he
hasn't heard before <0.5 wink>.

> It isn't pythonic to silently allow people to do something that
> almost everyone agrees is wrong.

FWIW, I agree.  That and 3 bucks will get you a doughnut <wink>.

Note that, in the pre-Barry pre-enlightenment days, the Emacs pymode
routinely mixed tabs and spaces when people changed (as most did!) the
default indent level (which Guido then insisted be 8, and which I strongly
encouraged people to change to 4 in the pymode comments <wink>).  That may
have something to do with this, and if so "the new argument" is simply that
we're another year removed from code produced under the old pymode regime.