[Python-Dev] Python -t

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 09:49:30 +0100

Greg Stein wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Paul Prescod wrote:
> > What are the chances of making python -t the default in Python 1.6? It
> > isn't pythonic to silently allow people to do something that almost
> > everyone agrees is wrong.
>
> I don't see a need to be so restrictive. Our views do not always match
> others'. I see no harm in continuing to allow mixed tabs/spaces. It
> doesn't hurt them, it doesn't hurt us.
>
> In fact, turning that on by default can/will cause pain. Okay, so people
> go and fix up their scripts. To what end? It hasn't improved anything, or
> given them more functionality. All it has done is to stop some warnings.

Is there a command line tool out there to untabify existing
Python scripts ? I recently wanted to apply such a tool to all
my stuff, but couldn't find any suitable Python script for the job...
there are lots of tools to catch those tab/space mixes, so no
finding the cure to the problem kind of surprised me ;-)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg