[Python-Dev] FW: 64-bit port of Python

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 15:31:28 +0100

Greg Stein wrote:
> People do use the id() value when they are printing a repr() of =
objects.
> Those uses may overflow, though, because people are using '%d' or '%x'
> format codes. It should be %s.

%s doesn't hexify.

cannot be that hard to fix %d and %x to work also for longs, can it?

> > Taking it as a given that Python should be made to run on the =
various 64-bit
> > platforms,
>=20
> Yes, that is a given. Python has been running on Alpha processors for =
> long time now; I'd say you found bugs rather than semantic problems.

footnote: assert Unix in (LP32, LP64), according to the single Unix
specification (and if you dig up their rationale, you'll see why
everything else is totally braindead -- I'm usually no Microsoft
basher, but this really pisses me off)

> In other words, rather than change the numeric model for what is a =
small
> problem, just change the small problem.

agreed.

</F>