[Python-Dev] Python -t

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 20:32:42 -0500

[Jason Asbahr]
> The tab/space issue is a subtle problem, and as Paul mentiond, we
> don't need errors caused by it to draw the fire of the anti-
> whitespace camp.

There are two people on c.l.py who actually use Python and routinely
complain about whitespace.  One doesn't appear to know how to use his
editor; the other never responds to counterpoints.  That is, "the
anti-whitespace camp" is overwhelmingly composed of people who don't use the
language and make crap up as they go along.  Note that, in the last three
incarnations of this silliness, not a one of them mentioned the "cross
platform coding using MSDev on Windows and Emacs on Unix" *actual*
clumsiness you mentioned!  Facts have no bearing on this argument, so
there's nothing rational we can do to avoid "drawing fire".

Guido (like us!) is a bit schizophrenic here:  he wants to be a benevolent
dictator, but also wants to treat people like grownups.  This probably
worked better before Python got a large American audience <0.9 wink>.  The
sure way to end this forever is the same way you deal with a child who can't
yet deal with a certain freedom responsibly:   as some later languages have
done, just decree that, henceforth, tab characters in source code are
illegal.  Period.  The howling would be deafening, but-- surprise! --after
the first time, the *only* complaint to be made is "Guido won't let me use
tab characters bwah bwah"; and every stupid tool ever written to "deal with"
this non-problem could be trashed.

let's-see-what-the-old-boy-is-made-of<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim