[Python-Dev] FW: [Patches] Complaints new patches list.

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 22:05:00 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 12 Feb 2000, David Ascher wrote:
> While I agree with Greg's reaction mostly (Gerrit was being childish, which
> maybe is not so unappropriate for a 14-year old =), I do think that the
> patches mailing list mechanism is only appropriate in the short-term.  In
> the longer term, a database backend with automatic notification of
> interested parties when something 'happens' to a patch is needed.
> Distributed INBOX management just doesn't work (witness python-help).

Our lack of infrastructure is no excuse for Gerrit's position/attitude. As
I mentioned in my response, his email came on the heels of an equally
inflammatory email sent to webmaster@list.org (me). I was a bit tweaked :-)

Sure: he has a point. Sure: we recognize that we could have better
facilities. Yes: I didn't like his attitude (for right or wrong).

Note: SourceForge has a "Patch Manager".

> I just wanted to point out that Gerrit's
> complaint, while poorly phrased, is real, and is likely to be felt by others
> in the future.

Recognized. But as you point out: there is only so much we can do. We'll
get there, but I don't believe that it gives people license.

> I know I've felt similar frustration sending things to the
> Scriptics folks and seeing patches dissapear into a black hole.  I've just
> learned diplomacy over the years =).

I know diplomacy, too (although, I'm not as good as David :-). I gave
Gerrit the benefit of the doubt [in the list.org mail] and assumed his use
of "lie" was a mis-translation from Dutch to English. I said so in my
response. He replied, stating that he *did* intend to use that word.
Accept abuse once: things are fine; accept it twice, and you encourage
continued, future behavior. We're all nice, great people: none of us want
to deal with that.

Cheers,
-g

--