[Python-Dev] Python on 64-bit AIX

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 09:59:08 -0500

Fredrik Lundh [fredrik@pythonware.com] wrote:
> > Has Python already been tested extensively on 64-bit machines ?
>
> python works perfectly fine on the AXP platform
> (and has done so since 1.2, at least).  should work
> fine on any LP64 platform.
>
> (given good enough compilers, that is. we don't use gcc on
> AXP -- earlier gcc's didn't work well, and DEC's own tools are
> not only excellent, but they're also shipped with the OS)

I think this is an important ote.  GCC has some serious flaws in its 64-bit
support on various platforms (and I don't believe supports PowerII/III
and the 64 bit architecture).  My experience has been that on AXP, PPC
and POWER systems that the vendor compilers are not only more reliable,
but substantially faster (on POWER, it's 50% or more in many cases).

The joy with AIX compilers is in finding the right combination of switches
to get it doing what you want.  Start with 'c98' rather than 'cc' and you'll
be much happier :-)

Chris