[Python-Dev] new httplib?

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@cnri.reston.va.us
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 13:57:56 -0500 (EST)

  >> Doesn't Jeremy have one too?

  GS> Yes, we talked about it at IPC7. As I recall, Jeremy wasn't
  GS> happy with the result... it was request/response based with a
  GS> lot of helper classes. My httplib is connection-oriented (like
  GS> the current httplib), and I think Jeremy had said that was good
  GS> (empirically, after his prototype).

  GS> But that's just let my memory... Jeremy?

Sounds right to me.  I haven't worked on http code in years.  I seem to
recall liking the basic architecture, but not the implementation.
That said, I have no objections to including your modifications: It
preserves the current interface and improves its support for http/1.1.

I still think the httplib interface could be improved, but I don't
have any time to work on it.

The one thing I don't see how to do with the new code is pipeline
requests.  Is that possible?  It's not a big deal if pipelining isn't
support, since the current implementation doesn't support it at all.

Jeremy