[Python-Dev] RFD: how to build strings from lots of slices?

Fredrik Lundh Fredrik Lundh" <effbot@telia.com
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 01:00:38 +0100

Tim Peters <tim_one@email.msn.com> wrote:
> So there's no pure win here.  Python's current scheme is at least
> predictable, and by everyone, with finite effort.  Agree you have a
> particular good but limited use it for it, though, and Greg's =
suggestion of
> using buffer objects under the covers is almost certainly "the right" =
idea.

hmm.  I'm not so sure about that...

with Greg's scheme, SRE needs to create a list full of buffer objects, =
while
the SliceList scheme involves creating *one* object per substitution -- =
and
to create that object, SRE only needs to copy slots from the match and
substitution objects, and bump the reference counts.

(...and btw, using raw buffer objects to point into a set of strings of =
mixed
types doesn't sound right to me...)

I think I'll stick to the SliceList model, with or without explicit =
support in
the string join methods.

</F>