[Python-Dev] Re: Python-checkins digest, Vol 1 #370 - 8 msgs

David Ascher da@ski.org
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 10:57:25 -0800

From: Guido van Rossum <guido@python.org>

> (BTW, perhaps the __contains__ changes should be extended to __max__
> and __min__?  They share many of the same issues.)

I suppose so, although I think the uses of a smart __contains__ are much
more frequent than the uses of a smart __max__.

On the other hand, I do think that it might be nice to have that sort of
hook in the rich array world...

On the topic of rich comparisons, I think I have a complete game plan in
my head, if not in code. I had to do some figuring out of the mods to
the compilation phase to allow short-circuiting with minimal performance
impact, as you and Jim H. discussed on the list way back when.  But, as
you can guess, I'm a bit short on time.  [For those of you who don't
know, I have a 4-day old daughter at home, and, more relevantly, she has
an older brother =)].

I would really like a bit more discussion and decision on coercions
before finalizing the rich comparison patches, as I think a coherent
coercion strategy will help simplify the patches. Marc-Andre is short on
time due to the Unicode stuff, and he posted a teaser to spark some
discussion, which got no response at all.  I'm not surprised, it's an
ugly problem.  Did anyone have thoughts that they'd want to share on the
topic?

--david