[Python-Dev] Re: Python-checkins digest, Vol 1 #370 - 8 msgs

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 15:01:30 -0500

[DA]
> > > On the other hand, I do think that it might be nice to have that
> > > sort of hook in the rich array world...

[me]
> > Really?  The min/max functions already do all their looping in C.

[DA]
> Right, but it might make sense to define min() on an array to mean
> something different than what min-the-builtin could guess from whatever
> __lt__ returns -- In fact, IIRC, min() on an array which implemented
> rich comparisons would raise an exception.  I don't want to specify the
> semantics now (arrays are weird sequences), I just appreciate the hook.
> The semantics would probably depend on the flavor of array one wanted to
> use.

You're right.

I bet Moshe is already coding...  (Tip: you could reuse the same flag
bit and simply rename it a bit, rather than having separate flag
bits.  The binary compatibility requirement is only between released
versions, not between CVS versions.)