need .append patch (was RE: [Python-Dev] Re: Python-checkins digest, Vol 1 #370 - 8 msgs)

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 08:02:45 -0500

> Somebody feel like whipping up a patch to fix the rest of the .append errors
> in the CVS tree?  I'm out of time!
>
> .\Tools\scripts\mailerdaemon.py(221):
>         list.append(errordict[e], errorfirst[e], errorlast[e], e)

Done.

> .\Demo\tkinter\www\fmt.py(224):
>                 self.para.words.append(self.nextfont, text, \
>
> .\Demo\tkinter\www\fmt.py(343):
>         para.words.append('r', '', 0, 0, 0, 0) # temporary, deleted at end
>
> .\Demo\tkinter\www\sgmllib.py(199):
>                         attrs.append(string.lower(attrname), attrvalue)

This whole directory should be nixed -- it's 5 years old and contains
mostly misinformation, like ancient versions of standard library
modules...

> .\Demo\sgi\video\VcrIndex.py(84):
>                         sorted.append(self.movies[name]['-ALL-']['START'],
> name)
>
> .\Demo\sgi\video\VcrIndex.py(100):
>                         sorted.append(scenedict[name], name)
>
> .\Demo\sgi\video\VcrIndex.py(116):
>                         sorted.append(scenedict[name]['START'], name)

This hardware probably doesn't even exist any more...  I'm for nixing
it too.

> .\Demo\sgi\gl\glstdwin\glstdwin.py(314):
>                                 G.queue.append(WE_DEACTIVATE, G.focus, None)
>
> .\Demo\sgi\gl\glstdwin\glstdwin.py(317):
>                                 G.queue.append(WE_ACTIVATE, G.focus, None)
>
> .\Demo\ibrowse\ibrowse.py(492):
>                 win.last.append(lastnode, win.textobj.getfocus())

All these are stdwin-related.  Stdwin will also go out of service per
1.6.

(Conclusion: most multi-arg append() calls are *very* old, or
contributed by others.  Sigh.  I must've given bad examples long
ago...)