[Python-Dev] new imputil.py

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 15:05:22 -0500 (EST)

Gordon McMillan writes:
 > I'd also like to point out that archives *can* be used in a
 > development situation. Obviously I wouldn't bother putting a
 > module under current development into an archive. But if the
 > source is still installed and you haven't mucked with the
 > __file__ attribute when you put it in the archive, then
 > tracebacks will show you what you need. IDLE doesn't know
 > the difference. So for most developers, the standard library
 > can be served from an archive with no effect (other than speed).

  I don't see why we can't just add the source to the archive as well;
this would allow proper tracebacks even outside the development of the
library.  Not including sources would cleanly result in the same
situation as we currently see when there's only a .pyc file.
  Am I missing something fundamental?

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	  <fdrake at acm.org>