[Python-Dev] proper CVS usage is a must! (was: CVS: python/dist/src/Objects unicodeobject.c,2.31,2.32)

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Sat, 01 Jul 2000 13:51:43 +0200

Greg Stein wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 30, 2000 at 04:53:31PM +0200, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> > > Why was the change that occurred in revision 2.31 reverted?  Accident?
> > >
> > > The change log said:
> > > Jack Jansen: Use include "" instead of <>; and staticforward declarations
> >
> > Accident... I'll revert that change.
>
> This is symptomatic of people not being careful with their CVS usage.
>
> *ALWAYS* do a "cvs update" before any commits. If the file has changed while
> you're working on it, CVS will merge the changes in with yours. You will be
> notified if there were any conflicts.
>
> But this is a MUST. We've seen this reversal of changes twice now. Only
> through the careful eye of some -checkins watchers has that fact turned up.
> If those people weren't watching, we'd be lost.
>
> If you're going to commit changes to Python, then please take the
> responsibility to use CVS correctly.

Hey, Greg, stay cool :-)

The accident happened because I had to modify Trent's patch
to make it apply correctly and I forgot to update the *copy*
of the CVS tree in which I edited the changes.

I always do a cvs update to my local CVS version before
the checkins, in fact, the small script I posted to this
list does the checking for me and won't accept the checkins
if the local version is out of sync.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg