[Python-Dev] Sorry. No Release.

Sat, 1 Jul 2000 11:24:18 -0500 (CDT)

    AK> I'm not convinced this delay is wholly a bad thing.  Did Barry ever
    AK> track down the mysterious crashes he was seeing from running the
    AK> test suite?

    BAW> No, and Purify didn't help, although it did identify a couple of
    BAW> small memory leaks.  Nothing more serious than that.  One possible
    BAW> source of discrepancy though is that the machine I ran the tests on
    BAW> apparently didn't have enough memory (at 256MB!) to run the entire
    BAW> regrtest under a Purify'd Python.  I'm going to continue looking
    BAW> though.

My guess is that -tt triggered a SyntaxError (maybe we should create an
IndentationError that is a subclass of SyntaxError?) the .pyc file didn't
get generated, but the exception was caught by regrtest and execution
continued.  That would have caused any test that tried to import the
tab-challenged file(s) to fail, right?  Would that have been sufficient to
provoke the symptoms we saw?

--
Skip Montanaro, skip@mojam.com, http://www.mojam.com/, http://www.musi-cal.com/
On Phil Jackson's ability to manage multiple Lakers superstars, Shaquille