[Python-Dev] Minidom and Unicode

Mon, 3 Jul 2000 15:08:56 +0200

> works for me:
>
> $ export LANG=posix.utf8
[...]
> (or to put it another way, I'm not sure the repr/str fix is
> the real culprit here...)

I think it is. My understanding is that repr always returns something
printable - if possible even something that can be passed to eval. I'd
certainly expect that a minidom Node can be printed always, no matter
what the default encoding is.

Consequently, I'd prefer if the conversion uses some fixed, repr-style
encoding, eg. unicode-escape (just as repr of a unicode object does).
If it is deemed unacceptable to put this into the interpreter proper,
I'd prefer if minidom is changed to allow representation of all Nodes
on all systems.

Regards,
Martin