[Python-Dev] Minidom and Unicode

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Mon, 03 Jul 2000 11:21:26 -0500

"M.-A. Lemburg" wrote:

> I think it's ok to auto-convert to the default encoding
> as intermediate solution, but the applications wanting to
> return Unicode as __repr__ or __str__ should really
> use .encode() to make sure the output that is produces
> matches their (or their user's) expectations.

If my users have expectations, I don't know them. I could allow them to
tell me what encoding to use, but surely they would rather do that in a
Python-wide fashion.

The calculus and the rich body of mathematical analysis to which it
gave rise made modern science possible, but it was the algorithm that
made the modern world possible.
	- The Advent of the Algorithm (pending), by David Berlinski