[Python-Dev] Copyright notice

Guido van Rossum guido@beopen.com
Mon, 03 Jul 2000 21:25:33 -0500

> On startup, the current CVS python reports (on my system)
>
> Python 2.0b1 (#31, Jul  1 2000, 23:13:39)  [GCC 2.95.2 19991024 (release)] on linux2
> Copyright 1991-1995 Stichting Mathematisch Centrum, Amsterdam
> Copyright 1995-2000 Corporation for National Research Initiatives (CNRI)
>
> Now that the file copyrights are changed, I expect this message to
> change as well. May I suggest that, instead of adding another line,
> the two last lines of this message are removed?
>
> People who need to find out who holds the copyright to this software
> still can print sys.copyright.

I think I recall this was a convention that the GNU folks claim is
required from a legal standpoint.  E.g. when I start gdb, I get:

  GNU gdb 4.18
  This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux".
  (gdb)

The Python welcome message is a lot less verbose!

But I am not a lawyer (IANAL) and maybe the GNU folks are
superstitious about this.

On the other hand, why does it bother you?  (*NOT* a rhetorical question.)

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://dinsdale.python.org/~guido/)