[Python-Dev] Copyright notice

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 21:48:17 -0400

Guido van Rossum <guido@beopen.com>:
> On the other hand, why does it bother you?  (*NOT* a rhetorical question.)

Maybe he doesn't like noisy programs.  I don't either.  Programs
should either (a) tell me what I need to hear, (b) tell me what I've
asked to hear, or (c) keep their traps shut and refrain from wasting my
time and attention.

(There are some who would say this atttude makes me old-fashioned in an
age of GUIs.  Au contraire -- visual gewgaws and noise are so seductive
to interface designers that we need to be *less* tolerant of noise than
formerly.)
--

The men and women who founded our country knew, by experience, that there
are times when the free person's answer to oppressive government has to be