[Python-Dev] Spelling check: more typos

Rob W. W. Hooft rob@hooft.net
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 09:02:53 +0200 (CEST)

I got some positive comments on my previous load of spelling
checks, so I spent another evening using some ispell, some spell, and
some special python code to look for more spelling errors in the
python source code. Base was the CVS on 2 July.

There are a few more 'problematic' cases in here:

First: American vs. British spelling. Since most text is in American
spelling, I "corrected" some words from the British spelling to the
American. I haven't done that with everything, especially in modules
where British-spelling variable names are used.

Then 2 points on distutils:
 - the word "licence" is used throughout, and "license" is introduced as
   alternative. The other way around looks more natural to me.
 - the term "anal retentives" should probably be replaced before 2.0

Furthermore: there is still a lib/stdwin manual. Shouldn't that be removed
too?

Is "s's" as in "the process's exit code" valid English? I seem to remember
that for words in s, the final s should be dropped.

Is it "Lance Ellinghouse" or "Ellinghaus"?

I uploaded my patch to the patch manager (as unidiff, sorry, but it is
large enough in the current form, and for spelling corrections easy
enough to follow).

Rob Hooft

--
=====   rob@hooft.net          http://www.hooft.net/people/rob/  =====