[Python-Dev] Re: [Patches] Patch 100718 -- LinuxThreads vs. Pth

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 00:52:09 -0700

On Wed, Jul 05, 2000 at 09:38:13AM +0300, Moshe Zadka wrote:

> I'm +1 on this -- LinuxThreads is more-or-less Posix compliant, and is
> based on Kernel level support. It seems much closer to the norm in the
> Linux world then Pth.

This patch is a huge +1. We should *never* prefer Pth over LinuxThreads.
Never. Ever. Hell... there isn't really "LinuxThreads" any more -- it is
part of glibc. We really shouldn't take an external package over the core
C library.

Pth is a user-mode thread package. That should not be used by Python unless
somebody specifically requests it.

Gah. How did that Pth get preferred installation...

I'm off to fix this sucker. Big time.

There is a separate problem for how somebody can override the selection
mechanism. But we're talking defaults here, and we should select the proper
default.

Cheers,
-g

--