[Python-Dev] Problems with the new unicodectype.c

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 17:42:37 -0400

[posted & mailed]

[Jack Jansen]
> Is anyone else experiencing problems with the immense new switch in
> unicodectype.c? Trying to compile it crashes my machine(!)...

No problem here, but it needs to be fixed for you!  There's no future in
pushing anyone's compiler limits, and particularly not when Python is
attracting more attention on smaller platforms (read feebler compilers,
among others gotchas).

I believe we also need a way to split unicodedatabase.c into multiple files,
as > 64K lines in a source file is unreasonable (Python can't handle a
source file that large either, and Python is the *definition* of
reasonableness here <wink>), and the MS compiler spits out a warning about
its sheer size.

Or was Christian's long-threatened compression patch supposed to reduce the
line count in that one?