[Python-Dev] Problems with the new unicodectype.c

Fredrik Lundh Fredrik Lundh" <effbot@telia.com
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 00:13:46 +0200

tim wrote:
> [Jack Jansen]
> > Is anyone else experiencing problems with the immense new switch in
> > unicodectype.c? Trying to compile it crashes my machine(!)...
>=20
> No problem here, but it needs to be fixed for you!  There's no future =
in
> pushing anyone's compiler limits, and particularly not when Python is
> attracting more attention on smaller platforms (read feebler =
compilers,
> among others gotchas).

both modules can be squeezed down to almost nothing.
it just takes a little work.

fwiw, Tcl's version of the unicodectype file is about 30k,
and compiles to an 8k large object file on my win95 box.

if nobody else fixes this, I'll do something about it before
2.0 final.  promise.

cheers /F