[Python-Dev] oh, and any interest in my readline history stuff?

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@beopen.com
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 20:21:14 -0400 (EDT)

Skip Montanaro writes:
 > Along the same lines, I have some pretty simple mods to readline.c and
 > rlcompleter.py that use atexit to automatically save the current history to
 > the file identified by the PYTHONHISTORY environment variable.  (If unset,

Skip,
  "bash" doesn't make me set a variable to control saving of history
to ~/.bash_history; I'd be perfectly happy if Python wrote
~/.python_history by default, and simply allowed me to turn it off
somehow (either from my $PYTHONSTARTUP script or a separate
environment variable).  There should be a reasonable default size to
the history (say, 2000 lines ;), and a way to set that as well.
  Perhaps this is reasonable: in rlcompleter (or whereever this stuff
goes), have a variable history_size that is set based on
$PYTHONHISTORYSIZE if set, or 2000 if not.  If the variable is set to
0, there is no history saving (or loading), and non-numeric values
(like "true" ;) mean "use the default" (which is at least 2000 ;).

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at beopen.com>
BeOpen PythonLabs Team Member