[Python-Dev] oh, and any interest in my readline history stuff?

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 19:27:21 -0700

On Wed, Jul 05, 2000 at 06:18:51PM -0500, Skip Montanaro wrote:
> Along the same lines, I have some pretty simple mods to readline.c and
> rlcompleter.py that use atexit to automatically save the current history to
> the file identified by the PYTHONHISTORY environment variable.  (If unset,
> no history read/write is done).  If we aren't in feature freeze, I'd like to
> check it in.

I'm against additional magic environment variables.

Can't you just have people put something into their .pythonrc file? Or will
it still require some C-level changes?

Basically, can you point people at doing:

.pythonrc:

import rlhistory
rlhistory.save_to('/home/gstein/.py_history')

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/