[Python-Dev] oh, and any interest in my readline history stuff?

Guido van Rossum guido@beopen.com
Thu, 06 Jul 2000 00:04:19 -0500

>     BAW> And +10000...000 if you can make it properly record multi-line
>     BAW> input.
>
> I take it there's an implicit smiley in there somewhere.  All I do is expose
> the read_history and write_history in the GNU history library.  The rest is
> up to readline & Python.

Barry was serious.  IDLE does this right -- it remembers and lets you
recall and edit entire multi-line commands.  It's understood that
readline doesn't support this, but at the same time it's a severe
limitation that means that readline will never be good enough for the
E in CP4E.  This doesn't mean it's not an improvement over no line
editing at all!

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://dinsdale.python.org/~guido/)