[Python-Dev] oh, and any interest in my readline history stuff?

Wed, 5 Jul 2000 23:27:38 -0500 (CDT)

    Guido> Barry was serious.  IDLE does this right -- it remembers and lets
    Guido> you recall and edit entire multi-line commands.

Yeah, but readline isn't a command editor, just a line editor and history.
If I execute the following interactively:

    for i in range(10):
        print i

I can use C-p to retrieve the lines and re-execute them.  It's no better or
worse than what bash does.  In fact, with some versions of bash, it does
recall entire multiline commands, for example, taking

    for f in `ls *.c` ; do
       echo $f
    done

and returning

    for f in `ls *.c` ; do echo $f ; done

instead when you retrieve it from the history.  I find this particularly
annoying and would much rather have the line-by-line recall that older
versions of bash (and now Python) support.

I've never used IDLE.  What does it do to facilitate command recall and
editing that's much different than Python or bash?  Would it pop up the
above Python for loop into a text editor widget and execute it when the
widget is closed?

Skip