[Python-Dev] how do I release a cvs lock?

Guido van Rossum guido@beopen.com
Thu, 06 Jul 2000 10:37:42 -0500

> Do we really want to live on with SourceForge(t) ?
> It seems to be pleasant for small projects, but
> maybe it would be more convenient to have a CVS
> that we control directly?
> The new starship is very powerful and could stand a couple of
> CVS repositories easily.
>
> While one might argue that this would give to much of Python
> to BeOpen (they got it already:), I think this could work
> smoothly.

In my experience, maintaining the repository, with both anonymous and
privileged (commit) access, is a lot of work -- managing user accounts
for the privileged, keeping the machine up and running, etc.  I'm
really quite happy with the level of support we get from SF.

In the long run, BeOpen might be interested in running this kind of
service for the Python and other communities; but for now, it would
just be a burden.

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://dinsdale.python.org/~guido/)