[Python-Dev] Problems with the new unicodectype.c

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@beopen.com
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 10:49:25 -0400 (EDT)

Thomas Wouters writes:
 > even be that gcc is right, that the larger code is faster, in spite of being
 > larger.

  It may be faster, but that doesn't mean the tradeoff is right.  ;)
Ideally, this shouldn't take a lot of space, simply because we don't
want to exclude platforms with substantial *memory* constraints.  But
we can let benchmarkers decide what the right tradeoff it; the size
isn't that big of a concern for me.  (I made the right tradeoff -- I
traded empty memory slots for filled ones!  512MB is a nice start. ;)

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at beopen.com>
BeOpen PythonLabs Team Member