[Python-Dev] list comprehensions again...

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Thu, 06 Jul 2000 10:12:30 -0500

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > Was there a public announcement made about new functionality for
> > 2.0?
>
> Yes, there's something on http://pythonlabs.com/tech/python2.html.  We
> currently can't commit to a release schedule due to the problems with
> CNRI.

Between now and the release, someone needs to add something there about
the XML support. In general, it is in the interest of the Python
community (and of course, my personal interest!) to emphasize Python's
XML sophistication. From a marketing point of view, the new XML support
could be pushed as sufficient reason for a major version release all by
itself. For instance, Even the Guido is impressed when he reads vacuous
XML-related press releases from the TCL guys.[1] :) :)

Python 2 could be the first language with support for SAX and DOM in the
class libraries (though Java is catching fast) and the first to ship
Expat as a standard module (on some platforms, anyhow). If the feature
freeze "melts", we could probably add SOAP support in a month or so
also.

[1]http://www.python.org/pipermail/xml-sig/1999-October/003167.html
(to be fair, I don't know that the TCL stuff is vacuous, I just presume
that any "B2B integration server" is likely to be vacuous...)

The distinction between the real twentieth century (1914-1999) and the
calenderical one (1900-2000) is based on the convincing idea that the
century's bouts of unprecented violence, both within nations and between
them, possess a definite historical coherence -- that they constitute,
put it simply, a single story.
	- The Unfinished Twentieth Century, Jonathan Schell
		Harper's Magazine, January 2000