[Python-Dev] urllib.browse() issues

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@beopen.com
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 22:37:31 -0400 (EDT)

Eric S. Raymond writes:
 > Looks pretty good...though I have to wonder how much point there is in
 > Grail support at this point.  Having something like this in the standard

  That was the first browser I supported!  (Which might indicate the
age of some of the code a bit. ;)  On the other hand, I don't see any
real reason to discard it.  I wouldn't mind a class to support
Mosaic's CCI control interface either.  ;)

 > library will be a real boon for on-line documentation and Web-aware
 > programs.

  Right.  I originally wrote this (for Grail & Netscape) for a
bookmark handling tool I never finished; this was the start of the
browser controller; each class was supposed to be, essentially, a
device driver for a Web-display abstract device.

 > (I got M16 to run without difficulty, BTW.  I have not switched yet
 > because the UI still has a lot of sharp edges.)

  Interesting.  I just re-installed it as root on Mandrake 7.0, and
get the following as Joe User with all the default installation
settings:

cj42289-a(~/projects/python); PATH=/usr/local/mozilla:$PATH mozilla
/dist/bin/run-mozilla.sh ./mozilla-bin
/usr/local/mozilla/mozilla: /dist/bin/run-mozilla.sh: No such file or directory
[127] cj42289-a(~/projects/python);

(The "127" was the exit code, thanks to a bashlet from Ken Manheimer.)
M12 did much better at this stuff, though the browser itself seems to
have improved.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at beopen.com>