[Python-Dev] Re: [I18n-sig] Unicode experience

Fri, 7 Jul 2000 16:31:13 -0500 (CDT)

    Ping> So "34"+0 converts to a number and 34."" converts to a string
    Ping> (i've seen both idioms fairly often).

Halleluhah!  Never thought I'd get Perl programming help here!  We have this
nagging problem with our XML-RPC stuff.  When a band or venue name
consisting of all digits (like "311") name comes into our concert database
server from a Perl client, it comes in as a number instead of a string.  The
only workaround so far was to check at all server interfaces where this
might occur and call str() when we found a number.  Now it looks like I can
toss the problem back into the client and save a few cpu cycles on the
server (and more to the point, not pay the cost of the test all the time)...

    Ka-Ping> Anyway, i still agree that it's best to avoid automatic
    Ka-Ping> coercion between numbers and strings

Amen to that!

Skip