[Python-Dev] Encodings

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Fri, 07 Jul 2000 18:24:13 -0500

"Martin v. Loewis" wrote:

> >Only if the default encoding is ASCII.
>
> That is not my understanding of the agreement, and I think the whole
> idea of a default encoding is a stupid one.

Let me be more tactful and say that I am not really comfortable with my
code changing behavior subtly because of an environment variable. A
default encoding might be interesting at I/O boundaries like print,
raw_input() and read(), but I would rather it didn't work pervasively
through the code.

Pop stars come and pop stars go, but amid all this change there is one
eternal truth: Whenever Bob Dylan writes a song about a guy, the guy is
guilty as sin.
	- http://www.nj.com/page1/ledger/e2efc7.html