[Python-Dev] Re: [I18n-sig] Unicode experience

Ka-Ping Yee pingster@ilm.com
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 16:59:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Paul Prescod wrote:

> I want to be clear that I'm not asking for automatic coercion between
> numbers and strings but rather automatic coercion of any type to string.

As it stands, with both 8-bit strings and Unicode strings, i think
this would result in too much hidden complexity -- thinking about this
can wait until we have only one string type.  We could consider this
after we unify strings, but even then it would take some arguing to
convince me that automatic coercion is desirable.

-- ?!ng