[Python-Dev] Include/pyport.h now exists

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Sat, 8 Jul 2000 00:31:27 -0400

Checkin comment below.

Would someone who understands (& can test!  I can't yet) autoconfig please
follow up on the last part?  The stuff I checked in "fails safe", i.e. the
lack of autoconfig support should not cause problems on any of your
platforms.

figured-it-was-best-to-just-do-it-and-apologize-later-ly y'rs  - tim

Cray J90 fixes for long ints.

This was a convenient excuse to create the pyport.h file recently discussed!

Please use new Py_ARITHMETIC_RIGHT_SHIFT when right-shifting signed int and
you *need* sign-extension.  This is #define'd in pyport.h, keying off new
config symbol SIGNED_RIGHT_SHIFT_ZERO_FILLS.

If you're running on a platform that needs that symbol #define'd, the std
tests never would have worked for you (in particular, at least test_long
would have failed).

The autoconfig stuff got added to Python after my Unix days, so I don't know
how that works.  Would someone please look into doing & testing an
auto-config of the SIGNED_RIGHT_SHIFT_ZERO_FILLS symbol?  It needs to be
defined if & only if, e.g., (-1) >> 3 is not -1.