[Python-Dev] [OT] version branding (was: CVS: python/dist/src/PC WinMain.c,1.3,1.4)

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 02:49:05 -0700

On Sun, Jul 09, 2000 at 07:48:49PM -0400, Mark Hammond wrote:
> > stupid question: what exactly does the RC file do here:
> >
> >     STRINGTABLE DISCARDABLE
> >     BEGIN
> >         2000 "Dummy" // Needed to version branding works!
> >     END
> >
> > (couldn't really parse that comment ;-)
>
> The "to" should be "so" - that will make it parse better, but probably
> still doesnt answer your question :-)
>
> Greg wrote a script that I use to brand .DLL/.EXE files with a version
> resource - eg, I brand the win32all package _after_ the final build - the
> version strings are written after it has been built and tested.

Heh. I wrote that after going through gyration after frustrating gyration
with the Site Server "Build Team". Those guys had their little fiefdom and
were responsible for building the product. You had to conform to their
idiotic concepts and tools.

Well, one of the worst was this complicated set of include files, macros,
and other small tools to construct a version resource in the .rc file. Well,
during the build process, you had to make sure that the "write the current
version into <foo.h> so it can be picked up by the version.rc include stuff"
actually got run. Of course, when you're developing code, what is the
"current version"? etc etc. It was a horrible mess.

So I ripped it all out and post-processed the DLL/EXE files. "ah. it built
fine, passes the initial test suite, let's brand it and release for full
testing." Slick as hell.

Of course, the Build Team sure didn't like that. Much too easy. Might put
them out of a job...

:-)

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/