[Python-Dev] new popen for win32! [status update]

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 14:10:07 +0200

guido wrote:
> So the best order to keep our sanity is really to return
> (stdin,stdout,stderr), with the understanding that, as this is the
> parent, stdin must be *written* and stdout/stderr must be *read*.

ok.

> I still can't figure out whether this is what your latest patch does

that's what it's supposed to do, at least ;-)

the popen2 module now assumes that if the os module exports a
popen2 function, it returns the file descriptors in a "sane" order.
(same goes for popen3 and popen4, of course).

> (wouldn't it make sense if os.popen2 and os.popen3 were also available
> on Unix?)

definitely.  I suggest moving the bulk of popen2.py to os.py (alternatively,
to a separate "posixpopen.py" module which is imported from os.py on
posix platforms).

the popen2 module itself is then reduced to a thin wrapper, and marked
as deprecated.

comments?

</F>