[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src/Lib urllib.py,1.96,1.97

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 15:11:07 -0700

On Mon, Jul 10, 2000 at 02:26:25PM -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > How do I do that in CVS-land?
>
> cvs admin -o<revision>

I don't think the use of "cvs admin" should ever be encouraged.

> Or you could retrieve the previous version and check it in on top,
> with a comment such as "eating my words". :-)

This is usually best, and it tracks what is actually occurring. Note that
Eric's use of "cvs admin" did not generate a checkin email. Only by going
and looking at the file, did I see that he has actually reverted the change.
Committing over the top would generate a checkin message, so people can
track the state of things.

> > Also BTW, my access mechanics are a Python script called `forgetool'
> > that automates away a bunch of CVS housekeeping -- setting CVSROOT
> > properly on a per-project basis is one of the things it does.  I'll
> > write some docs and release it shortly.
>
> I thought that you almost never have to set the CVSROOT variable once
> you've established your project work tree -- it's all stored in
> CVS/Root anyway.  I believe CVSROOT is only used when you do a "cvs
> checkout" and that doesn't happen very often...

This is correct. CVSROOT never needs to be set or to be changed once you
have a working directory.

In fact, with Python, I usually do the following:

$ cvs ... co python
$ mv python x
$ mv x/dist/src python
$ rm -r x

The extra "dist/src" in the local filesystem is just annoying :-)

Point is: CVS knows that my new python/ directory actually corresponds to
python/dist/src/ in the CVS repository because of the CVS/* files.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/