[Python-Dev] PyXXX_Size vs. PyXXX_Length

Vladimir Marangozov Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 14:41:18 +0200 (CEST)

Greg Stein wrote:

> > Why deprecate? There's nothing wrong with these names.
> > However, for conveniency, it would make sense to have
> > PyXXX_Size macros, synonyms for the PyXXX_Length functions.
>
> Because having both names is even worse than having inconsistent names. The
> question will always arise "what is the difference? why should I use one
> over the other?" You can tell people they are the same until you're blue in
> the face -- the question will still come up. Maybe after a while, the
> question won't come up any more. But then you have to answer, "okay. so
> they're exactly the same. why have two of them, then?" :-)

Okay, then deprecate them if there are no other objections.
But binary compatibility aside, if we don't provide _Length macros,
this would break tons of legacy source code, so both must be there
for some (long) time.

--
       Vladimir MARANGOZOV          | Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr