[Python-Dev] Python License may be discussed at Python Consortium Meeting

Guido van Rossum guido@beopen.com
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 10:23:45 -0500

While there still isn't much to report regarding the negotiations
between BeOpen and CNRI about Python releases and licenses, I thought
I should point out that there is some progress.

BeOpen is taking a stance that all Python users should appreciate --
I'd summarize it as "keep the old Python license or bust".

CNRI is trying to argue for a new license that is identical to the
JPython license (http://www.jpython.org/jplicense.html) with removal
of paragraph 3 (requirement to prominent display changes w.r.t. CNRI's
version) and paragraph 4 (trademark restrictions).  In our views, this
license is unusable for several reasons -- it's not GPL-compatible,
it's not Open Source compliant, and on previous occasions members of
the Python community have reacted strongly against it.

I promise that BeOpen won't accept CNRI's current proposal.  It's
impossible to say whether CNRI will accept BeOpen's position; as a
precaution, assuming the issue is still open next week, we've added
discussion of the license to the agenda of the Python Consortium
meeting in Monterey (see below).

I can't say what will happen if the negotiations break off -- but I
hope that the discussion at the meeting will open CNRI's eyes.

I hope that employees of consortium member companies will do
everything they can to ensure that their company is represented at the
meeting for this important discussion!

Feel free to write me for more background information.

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://dinsdale.python.org/~guido/)