[Python-Dev] Bug fixing policy (was Re: Changes to ConfigParser)

Guido van Rossum guido@beopen.com
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 10:57:10 -0500

Greg Stein writes:

> <IMO-about-culture>
>
> API changes probably ought to be discussed on this list (which includes the
> maintainers of any code). Basic point: the "maintainer(s)" is usually quite
> unclear since we avoid attribution within the source if at all possible.
> Posing the suggested change here allows for changing maintainers (note that
> Fred has done a tone of work on ConfigParser, and I've submitted a few
> changes myself, too!), and it allows for broader input.
>
> However, bug fixes and minor reworking should probably be allowed regardless
> of the maintainer. I'd hate to end up at a point where the Python
> interpreter is partitioned into a bunch of little fiefdoms, where you must
> pay a toll to enter.
>
> </IMO-about-culture>

Excellent summary.  I would add that if a maintainer is actively
maintaining their code, it's not polite to check in changes to their
code.  It's better to give them a chance to fix it first.  (The
maintainer them should attribute the fix to whoever first mailed it to
them, if they use the fix.)

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://dinsdale.python.org/~guido/)