[Python-Dev] Adding poll() system call

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 17:15:06 +0200

guido wrote:
> Somehow I don't understand why we need poll() when we have select(),
> however.  Select() is portable, poll() is Unix specific, but it seems
> to provide the same functionality.  What am I missing?

quoting from http://www.nightmare.com/medusa/

    A major design problem with select(2) is that an fd_set is
    usually of a fixed maximum size, on many operating systems
    the kernel needs to rebuilt to raise this limit; even on those
    that have dynamically adjustable limits, you still need to re-
    compile your application (because FD_SETSIZE is a macro).

</F>