[Python-Dev] list comprehensions again...

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 15:44:06 -0500

I'm sorry to muddy the waters, but perhaps a solution is to try and stay
as close to regular Python syntax as possible. I am thinking of a nested
comprehension as a regular nested for-loop that has an expression rather
than a suite as its body:

Nested (List):

[for x in (0,10,20,30):
	for y in (0,1,2,3):

Parallel (Tuple):

(for x in (0,10,20,30) and y in (0,1,2,3):

Parallel (Dict):

{for x in (0,10,20,30) and y in range (0,1,2,3):

The dict one needs a little explaining. A dict comprehension is a
comprehension where the delimiters are curly braces and the generated
items are required to be pairs.

Simplicity does not precede complexity, but follows it.
	- http://www.cs.yale.edu/~perlis-alan/quotes.html