[Python-Dev] list comprehensions again...

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 19:35:13 -0500

"Barry A. Warsaw" wrote:

>     PP> Would it help to think of list comprehensions not so much as a
>     PP> vote for a new idea as a vote AGAINST lambda, map and filter?
>
> If you mean specifically map/filter with lambda, yes.  But map/filter
> with are pretty straightforward I think.  It's the lambda that's
> confusing.

Okay, but at least half of the time I want to use map/filter I want to
do:

map( lambda x: x.foo(), lst )

Python is an OO-ish language after all! Anyhow, with list comprehensions
we could dump map/filter and probably lambda.

Simplicity does not precede complexity, but follows it.
	- http://www.cs.yale.edu/~perlis-alan/quotes.html