[Python-Dev] SyntaxError patches

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@beopen.com
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 08:24:19 -0400 (EDT)

  KPY> Gee.  Well, with the SyntaxError patch, at least the error
  KPY> message is much better (even though the arrow still points to
  KPY> the wrong place):

    >>> class foo:
    ...     def foo(self):
    ...         pass
    ...    def foo(bar):
      File "<stdin>", line 4
        def foo(bar):
                    ^
    SyntaxError: dedent does not match any outer indentation level

The error message is different and given a little phrasebook that
translates between the exception and English, it may actually be
better <0.3 wink>.

I don't know what a dedent is.  Nor do I know what "outer indentation
levels" are or how they might apply to the line "def foo(bar):".

I think the error message is trying to say "indentation does not match
surrounding context," but other than "does not match" the words are
obscure.

Jeremy