[Python-Dev] Unit testing...

Greg Wilson gvwilson@nevex.com
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 15:26:15 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Jeremy Hylton wrote:

>>> Andrew Kuchling wrote:
>>> (I've speculated about adding a unit testing framework...

>> Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net> writes:
>> I think PyUnit/JUnit and friends are in vogue these days.

> Jeremy Hylton wrote:
> I think there are several unit testing frameworks for Python.  Would
> you be willing to survey the state of these projects and suggest one
> for adoption?

Greg Wilson writes:
We (Software Carpentry judges, plus a few invited others) are trying to
select a narrower set of requirements for the "test tool" category.  The
current front runner is some sort of unit testing framework based on Kent
Beck's xUnit, combined with coverage analysis so that you get a measure of
code coverage.

We'd be very interested in input from anyone on this list who has
experience with either Steve Purcell or Cayte Lindner's PyUnit frameworks,
or has worked with tools that do this double task, or has ideas about what
they'd like --- the more input we get, the more likely we are to build
what you want.  Please contact me (gvwilson@nevex.com) or Alex Samuel
(samuel@codesourcery.com).

Thanks,
Greg

p.s. Purcell's version is http://pyunit.sourceforge.net/
     Lindner's is ftp://bio.perl.org/pub/katel/biopython/UnitTests/PyUnit.zip