[Python-Dev] zlib not compiled by default

Moshe Zadka Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 07:05:05 +0300 (IDT)

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

[about libraries to distribute with Python]
>     |  -- Anything else?
>
> readline.

-1 on that. I just thought of that before I got out of bed, and decided
putting something GPLed there might be trouble.

> My fear is that these extension modules might end up like pcre
> though.  We start with the standard stuff and then start to slowly
> fork it as we find we need extras.  Then we're stuck maintaining our
> version separately and folding in patches as the original moves
> forward.  Yuck.

Well, we managed writing Tcl/Tk wrappers without changing Tcl/Tk. Why
should it be different if it's in the source distribution? The temptation?
<wink>

--
Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
There is no GOD but Python, and HTTP is its prophet.